Friday, September 27, 2013

Things that go thump in the night


Up and down the stairs I went that evening so many years ago.  Our youngest daughter woke up several times with bad dreams.  Finally, I just lay down on the floor next to her little twin bed and covered myself with a doll blanket to stay warm on that frigid Iowa night.

Again, she woke up and called out.  Wearily, I reached up and patted her on the back.  "Oh, Mama," she said, surprised.  "If I knew that you were here, I wouldn't have been afraid."

I thought of that this week as I laid down next to Maggie when she called out into the night.  I assured her of my presence and covered her with a blanket and a prayer.  She went right back to sleep, hardly missing a beat.

And in my own life, O LORD, if I only realized Your Presence with me, I would not be afraid.

And God assures me in the Bible,
His Word to us,
           "I am here.
             I am in this.
            Do not be afraid."

 That is all I need to know.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High,
who abides in the shadow of the Almighty,
will say to the LORD,
    "My refuge and my fortress,
      my God, in whom I trust."
...You will not fear the terror of the night...
...for He will give His angels charge of you
          to guard you in all your ways.

                              Psalm 91. 1, 5, 11




No comments: