Friday, January 10, 2014

Random Acts of Gospel



It happened after our third daughter was born,
and I was re-hospitalized with a medical emergency.
Without fanfare, people came out of the blue to help us.
Some people, we didn't even know, brought meals.
Others helped take care of our two active toddlers and
               our newborn baby.
And in the midst,
the countertop full
            and the doorbell still ringing,
 my mother-in-law declared,
         "This is what the Church should look like."
People were extending kindness to us
           for no other reason than we were in need.
There are no Christian labels on casseroles,
      and a homemade pound cake is always
                           a clear extension of grace.

Whatever I am doing,
      in whatever I do,
I am sharing the Gospel.
What I do,
how I do it,
      and why I do it.

Random acts of Gospel
are not random at all
         but full of purpose
   by all means possible.
These opportunities don't just show up,
                 but are always
                       divinely appointed.


Every kindness proclaims the Gospel
           and reminds us what God is like.

A single act of grace
           can change the hardest heart.
Even in the doing.
Even mine.

Brethren,
    do not be weary in well-doing.

                        2 Thessalonians 3.13

No comments: