Monday, January 6, 2014

The Real 2014


From advertisements to personal emails,
        most correspondence in the past couple of weeks
has been signed,
                       Happy New Year,
a greeting typically discarded by the end of the month,
          along with gym memberships
          and clear plastic organizational bins.

Today,
      I read an email that closed with the simple phrase,
Welcome 2014.

Ahhhhh, that's better.
Because when we seek God,
     ohhhh,
life is so much deeper than a "happy" year,
     but packed with incredible daily stories
                         of God's faithfulness,
        filled
        and fulfilled.

Welcome not another year,
       but embrace the reality that God is already in it.
The next twelve months will not be decorated with colorful balloons
                and clear blue skies,
but carry some tough stuff.
                                (Fill in the blank here.)
The good news about the new year
                is not dependent on a wishful plastic happiness,
     but that God is there too...
            on the steep slopes,
        on the mountaintops,
 and in the valleys strewn with failures
           that are victories in disguise,
           just waiting to be redeemed.
Even in those miry bogs,
                  both real and imagined,
      His purposes are revealed.
Stronger,
deeper,
used for His glory.
All eyes on Him.

It is not elusive circumstances that make you blessed,
      but living in the reality of who God is--
Wonderful Counselor,
Mighty God,
Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace,
Creator of the Universe,
Maker of you and me,
the gentle Shepherd,
the living Water,
and
Savior of the world.

His love hasn't changed at all.
     
Welcome 2014.
Thank You, God,
     for another new year.
And each day,
      even though,
      even when,
      even in this,
                Your faithfulness gets all over it.


The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not want;
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside still waters;
            He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
            for His name's sake.
Even though I walk
    through the valley of the shadow of death,
            I fear no evil;
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff,
                          they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil,
            my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
            all the days of my life;
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
                                    for ever.

                                                Psalm 23

No comments: