Friday, January 31, 2014

Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?



 
One of my youngest grandson's favorite books is Eric Carle's Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?   Last week when I was spending precious time with Adrian, we read the book over and over again.  I also discovered a great way to get this active, curious little boy to take his nap.  I sang the words very slowly and quietly to a little tune that I made up.  Two times through the book, and he was snoozing.  Every time.

That book also reminds me of a time in high school when one of our daughters was going through the tough dark tunnel of adolescence, when EVERYTHING seemed to be going wrong.  "Look for the joy," I advised her.  "Even one good thing today."  It is not that her joy was dependent on circumstances, but in this little exercise, she became aware that God's goodness surrounds her in a lot of different packages.

What do you see?
I see God who is looking over me.

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
His mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is Your faithfulness.
                    Lamentations 3. 22-23



No comments: