Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Resolutions, Radar, and Reality



A fresh twelve months arrived at the front door this morning,
like a clan of energetic children ready with boots on,
              waiting to burst forth with zeal.
It matters not what I am going to do
                    with these next 365 days,
what I will accomplish,
what I seek to achieve,
but what will make this year different
           is laying my life before Him
     and trust in what only He can do
                        with this time,
                        with my efforts,
                        with my life.

The best way to start the new year
is not with a list of resolutions
but with a repentant heart.

I look back on last year,
         already wrapped up and stored away,
and I realize that the most profound things of all
were not even on my radar twelve months ago
                                    when the year started.
I do not face this new year
      with a grocery list of behaviors,
or the mindset to be a better person,
but with the heartset
                to be forgiven and faithful.

Let God transform my burdens,
my thoughts,
my actions,
my successes and that which falls short
       and redeem them
            --cash them in --
into what He can use for His glory.

It is not that God should be a part of my life,
like a blip on my radar,
or even hold a prominent place,
               but be preeminent in all things.

I can attempt to resolve,
                      but only God can redeem.
He will reveal Himself
              step by step
       as we follow Him into it.
The reality of God
                       goes on ahead.
The reality of God
                       changes everything
Because He is.

And so if there must be a list to do and be,
                 let His Word saturate it all:

...live a life worthy of the Lord,
fully pleasing to Him,
bearing fruit in every good work,
and increasing in the knowledge of God.

                           Colossians 1.10

No comments: