Thursday, August 8, 2013

Invisible doors and worn-out running shoes


I was walking down the sidewalk past a series of shops the other day, when suddenly what appeared to be a wall of glass just slid open beside me.  Until then, I was not even aware that it was an entrance.

And sometimes that is how God directs our steps.

Whoa, suddenly an open door,
often at a time or in a place
          I would never expect.

Ten years ago this week,
            I literally ran through one of those doors.
A few days before,
     I ran eight miles with my sister-in-law Amy's group,
     the longest distance I had ever gone.
I had also just turned 50 years old.
If you are going to do it, you better do it now,
      I convinced myself with a rather false bravado.
Despite internal protests of  "you are too old for this,"
I signed up for my first marathon,
    not having any idea what I was getting into,
    not having any intention of doing it again,
    and not ever dreaming that ten years later,
                        I would still be running at all.


















God provided an incredible portal
     to a deeper understanding of Him
and new dimensions of knowing His grace
       to share in words and worn-out shoes.

Sometimes the biggest doors
          don't even look like doors.

It is only God who can open those mysterious portals.
Trusting Him is what puts us in the right place
to turn our heads and hearts
                              at just the exact moment
                to change direction
                               or stay on course.
  He grants us the courage
                 to follow Him
                 and seek Him through it.
God opens the gates.
God creates doorways
       even where they don't exist.

The gateway may not be the point at all,
     but just the opportunity
           to know Him more.                                                            

Trusting Him also protects
from the distraction of panic
and keeps dismay from dwelling
        where it doesn't belong.

Trusting God does not open the realm of possibility.
It just acknowledges the reality of His presence.

Send me where You want me to go.
Keep me where I need to be.

Keep walking faithfully,
             and a door of opportunity
    sometimes a hidden entrance,
           an unexpected gateway,
           an incredible and invisible doorway
will just open,
    likely on the most ordinary of days.
A few words are spoken.
An opportunity emerges to serve.
Every barrier is removed.
Even doors which seem impossible
                     suddenly open
that all the world may know
         He is God.


We do not know what to do,
but our eyes are upon You.

                    2 Chronicles 20.12

Commit your way to the LORD,
trust in Him,
and He will act.

                     Psalm 37.5

No comments: