Monday, August 26, 2013

The Grass is Always Greener


















Abundant rains this spring brought about a lushness to our yards.  So when in early summer my husband began watering our grass every other day, well, I really didn't think it was necessary.  Ten minutes in the early morning, every other day.  I actually thought it was a waste.  We really didn't need it.  After all, the grass was greener than it had been for many summers.

Well, and then summer came, and the heat and lack of rain slowly bleached the color out of the world.  Before the end of July, the grass all around us had faded into tones of brown, the grass itself crunchy and matted down.  I now see lawn sprinklers almost every day, their waves of droplets in the air, desperately attempting damage control.  At this point, sprinkling will not bring the lawn back to life, but may only keep it from dying completely.

When I speak to others about reading God's Word, I actually get the same looks as I gave my husband about watering.  "Is it really necessary?"  "I mean like I'm doing pretty well right now."  Or the ever popular,  "You don't understand -- nobody's got time for that."

And then the drought comes, and we don't know what hit us.

Start with ten minutes a day, reading God's Word.  Any time during the day.  Just make it daily.  Read with a pen to mark down verses how God is speaking to you. 

And see what God will do in you. 

The grass withers,
     the flower fades,
but the word of our God
               will stand for ever.

                   Isaiah 40.8

He is like a tree,
      planted by streams of water,
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does,
              he prospers.

                   Psalm 1. 3

No comments: