Friday, August 2, 2013

Reflection in the Deepest Part


I was playing with our youngest grandson, a little one who will stare fully into my eyes, searching deeply and speaking volumes without words.  In the light of the room, I could see myself in his eyes,  And in turn, he is reflected in mine.

I thought about that interaction when I read this verse:

Keep me as the apple of Your eye,
hide me in the shadow of Your wings...

                       Psalm 17.8

The original Hebrew phrase "apple of His eye" literally translates "little man of the eye."  It refers to the tiny reflection of yourself in another's pupil, the center and deepest part of the eye.  The term refers to one who is a greatly cherished person, or that which is most precious and protected.

When I look at you, I can see myself in your eyes, and you can see yourself in mine.  Cherished, precious and protected.

That is how God loves you.  You are reflected in His eyes.  And He is reflected in yours.  There is no more intimate relationship.

He found him in a desert land,
and in the howling waste of the wilderness,
He encircled him, He cared for him,
He kept him as the apple of His eye.

                       Deuteronomy 32.10


No comments: