Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Strapped in the chair of torture


In less than a half-hour, I will leave for a dental appointment.  The dentist will use his implements and jack-hammer to do battle against the decay that has taken up residence in one of my molars.

I would rather do just about anything else this afternoon than to submit to this procedure.  But I know that with dental decay, ignoring the truth only gets me into deeper trouble.  The friendly dentist will fill my mouth with the entire contents of his tool box, and then proceed to hold a largely one-sided conversation, asking me questions when it is impossible for me to respond.  He will use any device available to remove the decay and patch the tooth back together.

When it comes to deeply-rooted sin in my life, when I finally admit and submit to His healing hand, God does not just remove the decay and patch it up.  He does not even just make "all things new."  He does not even just restore that part of my life.

He redeems it.

He uses that former place of decay and nastiness for great good.  He cashes it in.  Why?  Because my life and yours are THAT valuable to Him.  Nothing is wasted.  Every part is precious.  And so, He redeems.  When I give Him my life, God uses it all.  Yes, even that, in ways beyond my wildest imagination.

...Who forgives all your iniquity,
Who heals all your diseases,
Who redeems your life from the Pit,
Who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy...

                            Psalm 103.3-4

No comments: