Saturday, April 25, 2015

Remember when ...?


It was years ago now when we were working our way through a particularly hard season in our family's life, seeking God in it, seeking God through it.  In the midst of those days, I took two of our daughters back to college for the fall semester.  Before I headed back home, I attended church that morning with them.  The pastor was working his way through a series on the minor prophets in the Bible.

At one point in the sermon, he said, "And when you get to the end of this, you will have a story to tell of God's faithfulness."  Those words touched my heart.  I wrote them down on an index card which I posted at the kitchen sink upon my return home that evening.

The next morning, our youngest daughter scurried into the kitchen to grab a bite of breakfast before the school bus lumbered up our street.  She paused to read my little note, and then turned to me.  "That's not true," she stated.

"What do you mean?" I asked, a little alarmed by her response.

"Mom, every day is a story of God's faithfulness."

I had no idea at that time how true I would find those words of our child.  We were not yet even close to being through this particular journey.  I clung to those words.  And every day was truly a story of His faithfulness.  Every day He revealed Himself in one way or another.  We did not need a rear view mirror to witness His Presence with us.  We were not just seeking a resolution or an answer, but seeking God through it.

I have told this story before, but I was reminded of it this morning while reading a passage in the book of Judges in the Bible.

...there they repeat the triumphs of the LORD.
               
                               Judges 5.11

Despair is only a lapse of memory.

"Remember when....?"
          is not just a fond memory
but a chronicle of God's mighty work.
Keep His faithfulness before you.

Every day is a story of God's faithfulness.

Almighty God is still working in you,
    and through you,
    and all around you.
You are not alone
                         in this.

Remember when.....?

No comments: